U.S. Army Sgt. Carson Shaw of Team SOCOM congratulates a member of Team Marine Corps after a game of wheelchair basketball at the 2025 Department of Defense Warrior Games in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Carson Shaw had one fear when he was in the hospital recovering from a car accident that left him a T11 paraplegic.

"I've never wanted to be motionless or stay idle," he said. "For me, laying in a hospital bed for the first time probably ever in my entire life, forced to sit still. That takes its toll on anybody."

The accident happened Oct. 7 of last year, but a mere eight months later, being motionless and idle is likely the furthest thing from Shaw's mind.

Shaw, a sergeant in the Army[1]'s 1st Ranger Battalion in Savannah, Ga., will compete in six competitions in the Department of Defense Warrior Games at Colorado College.

Featuring nearly 200 wounded, ill and injured warrior athletes in teams from the Army, Air Force[2], Marines, Navy[3] and special operations[4] command (SOCOM), the games are a series of 11 adaptive sports played over nine days of competition.

The Warrior Games, which will run through July 26, began in Colorado Springs in 2010 with the mission of highlighting the physical skill and resilience of military service members. The games were held locally until 2014. This upcoming week marks the first time the games are back in town since 2018.

Following the powerlifting event on Friday, the games officially kicked off in the evening with comedian Jon Stewart hosting the opening ceremony at CC's Ed Robson Arena.

Stewart, who has hosted the event several times in the past, brought his usual charisma as he cracked jokes about the recent scandal at a Coldplay concert, recalled the time he threw up after jumping out of a plane at a previous edition of the games, and even gave the audience a short drum solo following a live band.

But what stood out most of all was Stewart's respect for the warriors.

"The human capital in this room is something this country needs desperately," he said to the crowd.

The athletes have that capital in part because of the families who support them.

Shaw's girlfriend Annalisa Saljanin was the first person to hear about the accident. When she confirmed Shaw was at the hospital, her father drove her from New Jersey to Georgia.

"It's definitely hard to hear the person you love in pain and hurting," she said. "Just walking in the room Carson already had a smile on his face. He's been so strong through everything and just knowing that he was able to still be happy and smiling so soon after his accident just gave me that piece of mind that everything was going to be okay."

Saljanin has been there for every step of her boyfriend's journey, and thanks to the Fisher House Foundation, she was able to accompany him to Colorado Springs.

Fisher House, which has built 99 comfort homes where military and veteran families can stay free of charge while a loved one is in the hospital, paid for the trips of all the family members who support the athletes. Flight, food and hotels are included.

"Just being out here ... allowing me to come out here and be with him throughout this entire process has been amazing," Saljanin said. "I've been with him for training here this past week and they allowed me to hop on a cycle and just go around with him. And being able to bond over things like that has been really amazing."

For his first Warrior Games, Shaw will compete for team SOCOM in wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby, precision air shooting, hand cycling, discus and race chair.

His favorite event is wheelchair basketball as he enjoys being around a team of people who love to compete. Shaw embodies the mindset of the theme of this year's games, "Limitless."

"Being around like-minded people that are all dealing with some form of either injury or disability and they're not letting that stop them," Shaw said. "And competing against people in the same category against people that we all are on the same page, we're out of the same book."

"When I was in the hospital and you're laying in bed you can't do anything for a couple of months, that's what got me through recovery was knowing that on the other side, I had Warrior Games to train up for, to compete in."

© 2025 The Gazette (Colorado Springs, Colo.).

Visit www.gazette.com[5].

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.[6]

© Copyright 2025 The Gazette (Colorado Springs, Colo.). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read more

A gate entrance to Harvard Yard at Harvard University

A new court filing Tuesday shed some light on an unusual wrinkle in the U.S. government’s fight with Harvard University.

Harvard previously claimed the U.S. Department of Defense had terminated a $3.4 million grant for important research into biological threats, despite pleas from an official to maintain the grant for national security purposes — but then asked for work to continue and paid the grant anyway[1].

A Defense Department official issued a court statement this week saying the grant — supporting research for the “AMPHORA” program[2], which stands for Assured Microbial Preservation in Harsh or Remote Areas — wasn’t canceled after all. That’s even though it was included in a list of terminated Harvard grants released in May.

Efstathia Fragogiannis is director of the contracts management office with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency ( DARPA) in the Department of Defense.

Fragogiannis wrote that in the days following a May 12 letter to Harvard announcing the cancellation of that grant and many others, DARPA officials sought and received an exemption for the grant for reasons of national security.

“On May 21, 2025, May 22, 2025, and June 27, 2025, DARPA informed Harvard via email that the agreement remains active and that it should continue to perform work on the AMPHORA project,” Fragogiannis wrote. “As such, Harvard has continued to perform work pursuant to that agreement, for which DARPA has paid, including the July 8, 2025, payment for work performed from May 1 to 31.”

Harvard had claimed the request for continued work and the payment it received were evidence that “reinforces” its court argument that “the government’s categorical terminations of research funding were arbitrary and capricious.”

Harvard had said in a court filing they inquired with the federal government[3] about whether the AMPHORA grant is in fact still active, but they haven’t received a response.

In a filing released Tuesday, the government argued that “Harvard’s grants were ultimately terminated because of Harvard’s categorical refusal to respond to the Government’s concerns” over antisemitism.

A Harvard University spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The court filings come as part of an ongoing lawsuit[4] in which Harvard disputes cancellation of billions of dollars of funding by the U.S. government.

It’s one of two lawsuits the university has against the Trump administration, the other relating to its ability to accept foreign students[5].

©2025 Advance Local Media LLC. Visit masslive.com[6]. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.[7]

© Copyright 2025 MassLive.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read more

Tony Tata speaks in downtown Fayetteville

A retired Army[1] officer and conservative commentator who could not be approved for a Pentagon job during the first Trump administration because of past Islamaphobic and conspiratorial statements has been confirmed by the Senate to be the Pentagon's personnel chief in the second Trump administration.

In a 52-46 party-line vote Tuesday afternoon, the Senate confirmed Anthony Tata to become the under secretary of defense for personnel and readiness, the top official overseeing the health and well-being of the more than 3 million uniformed and civilian personnel working for the Defense Department.

Tata is a retired Army brigadier general whose post-military career includes serving as a school district administrator in Washington, D.C., and North Carolina and as North Carolina's secretary of transportation, a job he abruptly resigned from.

Read Next: Here Are the 596 Books Being Banned by Defense Department Schools[2]

More recently, he has been a steady presence on Fox News as a political and military commentator.

Toward the end of the first Trump administration, in 2020, Tata was nominated to be under secretary of defense for policy, essentially the No. 3 position in the Pentagon. But his nomination was withdrawn after Republicans who led the Senate Armed Services Committee canceled his confirmation hearing amid mounting controversy over incendiary statements, including calling former President Barack Obama a "terrorist leader."

At his confirmation hearing in May[3] to become Pentagon personnel chief, Tata expressed regret for the comments that doomed his previous nomination and said they were "out of character."

But he also defended more recent comments that Democrats grilled him about. Those more recent statements include social media posts in which he said that all four-star officers appointed by former President Joe Biden should be fired and that the Posse Comitatus Act, the law that prohibits the military from conducting domestic law enforcement in most cases, should be "suspended."

Democrats argued that those statements, coupled with his past comments, are disqualifying.

"I respect and I appreciate his military service, but his record of public statements and behavior toward individuals with whom he disagrees politically is disqualifying for a position of this significance," Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said on the Senate floor Tuesday. "I am concerned Mr. Tata has a misguided and discriminatory view of the military and civilian workforces he would oversee."

At the hearing, Tata claimed that his reference to Posse Comitatus was meant to be a call for better border security and that he did "not know" whether the law should be suspended. Tata also maintained that his call to fire officers was about reinforcing the need to follow lawful orders regardless of politics and that he would not support a "blatant purge" of military officers.

While Republicans recoiled at Tata's comments the first time he was nominated, they dismissed his comments this time around.

"The thing I've learned about Tony is that he takes responsibility for his words and actions," Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., said in May while introducing Tata at his confirmation hearing. "He learns from his past mistakes, which is a testament of a good leader."

Related: Nominee for Pentagon Personnel Chief Grilled Over Comments Calling for Purge of Generals[4]

© Copyright 2025 Military.com. All rights reserved. This article may not be republished, rebroadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without written permission. To reprint or license this article or any content from Military.com, please submit your request here[5].

Read more

More Articles …